Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Friday Weddings are Better!

The majority of couples I meet with have their heart set on a Saturday wedding and I totally understand this and am in full support of whatever they want.

However, I thought I would share my take on why Friday weddings are better than Saturdays. That's right. I said it. Fridays are better. I just took a major stand there and went against the grain. But I think I have some pretty good reasons to back it up:

Reason #1: Your closest family and friends, the most important people in your life, will be at your wedding no matter what time of day it is and no matter what day of the week.

The best way to think about this is to put yourself in their shoes.  For example: If your sister or best friend said she was getting married on a Tuesday at 3:00pm, would you or would you not make that happen? You may wonder what in the world she is thinking, but you would be there, right?

Of course, Friday is not as obscure as a Tuesday. But when considering a Friday, I most often get the argument that couples are worried about their guests having to take an extra day off work. Yes, maybe so.

Although if they are in town and if the wedding is in the evening. Maybe not. Maybe they will only need to take a half day off. In fact, even if they are out of town, they may likely want to take the day off on Friday anyway for traveling.

And for my final point on Reason #1: Some people work on weekends. So, they have to take a day off regardless to be at your wedding.

Reason #2: Fridays are almost always less expensive with wedding venues and vendors.

You are not alone in wanting a Saturday wedding. They are definitely the most popular day and thus in higher demand. But all the much more reason to consider a Friday so that you can save some money. Let's face it. Weddings are expensive and any area that you can cut some corners, why not run with it?

Don't get me wrong: I am not asking you to settle! Fridays are not settling! They are actually a better option for you and your guests, which leads me to...

Reason #3: Friday weddings allow your guests to have a more relaxed vacation on your wedding weekend and spend more quality time with each other.

All of my cousins live out of town. And I went to every single one of their weddings. All of their weddings were on Saturdays. Each weekend felt like a whirlwind because I got in on Friday night, went to the wedding on Saturday, and quickly turned around and left on Sunday afternoon. We didn't really get an opportunity to spend quality time with the family because there was simply no time to.

However, with a Friday wedding, your guests come in on Friday afternoon and attend the wedding. Then you can host a brunch or open house on Saturday to spend some extra time with everyone.

Quite often the guests who are at your wedding are friends and family from all over the country and it is not often you get to see them. Wouldn't it be nice to spend some time really catching up and enjoying their company rather than just saying that quick hello as you bounce from table to table at the reception?

After all, you spend all this time planning for that one single day that goes by ever so quickly. Don't you think it would be fun to have the merriment spill over into the next day and/or evening?

As I said from the beginning, I am always in complete support of whatever my clients choose. Sometimes the reasoning above just doesn't apply and if that is the case, then Saturday it is!

But the most important factor that should go into your final decision about anything regarding your wedding is: What is best for you and your fiancee? You cannot make everyone happy and you have to consider what is the best fit for you.

Sooo... did I convince ya??

~ Emily

2 comments:

  1. Awesome advice, Emily! I like this option especially for brides here in Phoenix/Scottsdale. Like you said, it's almost always a destination type event. Spending more time with your guests and giving them extra time to explore beautiful Arizona is a win-win for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I have done weddings on Friday evenings and they are a BLAST! Everyone is ready for the weekend and no time is cut into their actual weekend so everyone shows up ready to party!

    Plus, the couples usually host a fun get together on Saturday or Sunday and then leave for their honeymoons on Monday. (This way, they get to enjoy their out-of-town friends and family.

    Also, the cheaper thing - sooo true! And right now, you just can beat that!

    Thanks for the post!

    Suzanne The Party Girl ;-)

    ReplyDelete